Monday, October 13, 2008

Scherenschnitte


I have always been a Kara Walker fan. She has taken the old fashioned paper cut-out "scherenschnitte" silhouette to a whole new level. I remember seeing her work for the first time at the Whitney Museum and feeling awestruck.

Yesterday I received a package in the mail from my mother who had included a French book of Mother Goose nursery rhymes "Rimes De La Mere Oie" rendered by Ormonde de Kay Jr. The book was published in 1971 and not only includes rainbow illustrations of Peter Max style art but several wonderful scherenschnitte animal figures (by Push Pin Studios). This was my inspiration to try my hand at it.

Armed with nail clippers, watercolor paper, paint and glue....this is what I came up with. It was lots of fun, but next time I think I'll try thinner paper and an exacto blade....at least that's how Nikki Mcclure does it and she ROCKS!!! (aka 90's Riot Grrrl musician).

1 comment:

Snippety Gibbet said...

That's a sweet little snip you have there. That was your first?????? jan