Saturday, January 10, 2009

Raw Power R.I.P. Ron Asheton

I had just finished writing a post for the beeskneesbooks blog and emailed my sister to tell her how cute Terry's purple Raw Power shirt is on the sushi clip from the post punk kitchen site. I have always adored the Stooges and am very fotunate to have met some of the members. So, I was very sad when I heard the news that Ron Asheton had been found dead that same day, January 6.

In 1997, Steve toured Europe with Ron's brother, Scott Asheton and Sonny Vincent on the Pure Filth tour. When they toured the US, I got to meet Scott and hang out with his wife Liz and kids. They played an amazing show at Coney Island High with the Ramones, Ronnie Spector and Exene(my childhood idol). Later that night we stopped around the corner at Continental to see Wayne Kramer. I remember Liz telling me stories about MC5 from back in the day.

Steve got to meet Ron and sister Kathy when they played some shows in Michigan and we both got the chance to meet with Iggy briefly. Above is a photo of Ron from the late 60's. One very cool dude.

On our honeymoon we visited Scott and Liz at their lakehouse in Michigan. The boys cooked a barb-q dinner for us and we went out on the lake in a boat at 10:00 at night and the sun was still in the sky.
I could reminisce some more but I really just want to give some props to Ron Asheton, one of punk rock's finest guitarists ever. The famed guitarist of I wanna be your dog, No Fun and 1969 to name a few. Recently the Stooges did a reunion tour with all original members, Iggy, Scott and Ron as seen in the photo on the right.
I found this live clip from a concert in Cincinnati in 1970. You can see a little bit of Ron (the footage from those days is not great)but it does show the raw power of early punk rock.
Thank you Ron, your music will live forever in our hearts and souls.



No comments: